Xorg using abnormal high cpu in Debian wheezy with official Nvidia GeForce G105M driver of version 285.05

I re-installed my system with Debian Wheezy the other day. And then downloaded and installed the official Nvidia graphic driver for my GeForce G105M card. The driver version is 285.05.09 Certified published on 2011.10.05.
But unfortunately, the system became quite slow with many applications like nautilus, chrome, firefox etc. The symptoms were:
1. It's very slow to open new tab in chrome/nautilus, or to switch between tabs. It could takes several seconds!
2. In the address bar of chrome and firefox, if you type in sth, the letters will only show up one by one with quite obvious delay which could last for 1-2 seconds, it's painful!
3. The "top" command shows that the xorg is taking more than 50% of cpu constantly!

After googled a lot, I finally found out the reason below from url of http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2488518&postcount=15

I had also the same problems with last Xorg 1.11 and nvidia GeForce G105M card. This card seems do not supports trapezoid acceleration checked with "nvidia-settings -q AccelerateTrapezoids".

For impatient, like me, I made and attached a dirty and quick fix for Xorg 1.11 from AaronP explanation in http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/026050.html
which seem to fix the problem in wait a real and serious fix from xorg or nvidia guys.

WARNING ! this patch is not an official patch and do not pretend to fix the slowdown bug, it's only a quick and dirty hack

While Xorg1.11+nvidia GeForce G105M is exactly the combination I have!

Although the author provided a patch, I never know how to apply it and also intended not to.
Fortunately, TODAY in the morning, Nvidia just released a fresh beta graphic driver with version number 290.03(beta) which fixed the bug "that caused trapezoid and triangle rendering to be very slow on older GPUs with xorg-server 1.11.".

I don't mind a beta version if it can fix a bug which obviously slow down my system(A testing version of Debian :), so the next steps to fix this issue became clear:

0. Login as root
1. wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/290.03/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290....
2. mv NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.03.run /usr/src && cd /usr/src
3. install the linux-headers package if you havn't yet:
apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) && ln -s linux-headers-$(uname -r) linux
4. Save your work and close all the applications, and then stop the X:
press ctrl+alt+f1 and login as root, and then execute:
/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
5. cd /usr/src && chmod +x ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.03.run && sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.03.run
6. Follow the installation wizard and finish it.
7. After the install, restart the X:
/etc/init.d/gdm3 start

Now the bug is gone and, it feels like the system is flying!!



You can also have a look to the experimental repository of debian. There you can find the new version.
Package nvidia-glx for example: http://packages.debian.org/experimental/nvidia-glx

Cool, so fast to see 290.03 in repo, though it's only available experimental.
Thanks for the info.

The Adobe Flash in Chrome & Firefox keep crashing after upgraded to Nvidia Driver 290.03, so need to upgrade the driver to another Beta version: 290.06.

Here is the place to checkout latest version of Nvidia Drivers from time to time.

Also, the Debian package team updated their Nvidia Driver in repo swiftly as before.

Current official release 290.10 for Linux x86/x86_64 released

The x86 version can be found at ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/290.10/ to download

Add new comment